Arch Social Club
A Cornerstone of Culture, Civics, Community, and Commerce
For 116 years the Arch Social Club has stood proudly as a cornerstone for Black Baltimore’s civic, social, and cultural life. Established in 1905 as a gathering place for BLACK men in a then-segregated city, the club brought together tradesmen, laborers, clergy, professionals and entrepreneurs to craft strategies for addressing the issues of the day and to fellowship with one another.
The club is currently located on Baltimore’s famed Pennsylvania Avenue “The Avenue”, a primary stop in Black America’s storied “Chitterling Circuit”. In recent years, the Arch Social Club served as a comfort station during the demonstrations that followed the death of Freddie Gray.
The Arch Social Club will serves to “shine a light” on efforts to redevelop this steeped in history commercial corridor and welcome a new generation of activists, artists, entrepreneurs and patrons to “The Avenue”.